For non-emergencies, contact us at:
To report an emergency dial: 911
The Goliad County Sheriff’s Office is accepting applications for the position of Jailer
JOB POSTING: Open until filled
The Goliad County Jail is a 48-bed facility located in the City of Goliad, Goliad County Texas. This posting is for a jailer position in our 24/7 facility with variable day and night shifts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Guard inmates in detention institution in accordance with established policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Observe the conduct and behavior of inmates to prevent disturbances and escapes.
- Inspect locks, cells, etc. for tampering.
- Search inmate cells for contraband articles.
- Guard and direct inmates during work assignments.
- Prepare and submit reports and observations to a supervisor.
- Physically restrain inmates in order to maintain discipline among other inmates when necessary.
- Escort and guard inmates in transit to and from medical appointments, in transit between jail and courtroom, and jail and prison, or other points while traveling in an automobile.
- Prepare written reports concerning incidents of inmate disturbances or injuries.
- Display general knowledge of computers and basic office equipment.
- Prepare and serve meals, books, mail, and property to inmates.
- Maintain facility in a clean and orderly manner.
- Aid shift supervisors in the dispensing of medications.
- Be able to lift a minimum of 40 lbs., harness, and function with a Scott Air-Pack.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS TO QUALIFY FOR LICENSURE AS A DETENTION OFFICER IN TEXAS:
- Be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Possess a high school diploma or a GED.
- Have never been convicted, pled guilty, nor have been on court-ordered community service/probation or deferred adjudication for a Class A misdemeanor or a felony.
- Have not been convicted, pled guilty, been on community service/probation, or deferred adjudication for a Class B misdemeanor in this state, another state, or while serving in the military during the last 10 years.
- Have never had a military court-martial that resulted in a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge.
- Possess a valid Texas Driver’s License at the time of hiring for the position.
- Criminal History Review
- Pre-Employment Packet Review
- Jail Tour
- Oral Interview Board
- Review of Personal History, Statement, and Documents
- Physical Examination
- Drug Screen
- Psychological Examination
- Background Investigation
- Starting salary is $15.13 per hour
- Overtime paid at time and a half; overtime opportunities are available; no compensatory time used
- Full benefits package, including Blue Cross medical coverage through the County
- Retirement through Texas County and District Retirement System
Unlicensed jailers shall complete the basic TCOLE Jailer’s License course within one year of employment, or termination will occur. The Goliad County Sheriff’s Office is an equal opportunity employer.
The Goliad County Sheriff's Office appreciates your interest. You may contact Gary Diaz, Jail Administrator, at 361-645-3451. Application forms are available at the Goliad County Sheriff's Office.