County of Goliad
Sheriff Kirby Brumby
Just east of the Presidio La Bahía,is the Fannin Memorial Monument that marks the burial site of Col. Fannin and his men. 9 miles east on Highway 59 is the site of the 1836 Battle of Coleto Creek where the Texan army was captured. The Fannin Battleground State Historic Site features exhibits, memorials, an observation tower and picnic pavilion.
Presidio La Bahía was originally built in 1749 to protect the Mission and the frontier.It was here that Colonel Fannin and his ill-fated men were held prior to being executed at Santa Anna's order. Designated a National Historic Landmark and considered the world's finest example of a Spanish frontier fort, Presidio La Bahia was first founded on the banks of Garcitas Creek, near Lavaca Bay. It has been owned by the Catholic Church since 1853 and is currently operated by the Diocese of Victoria.
The Presidio was relocated to its present location in 1749. Presidio La Bahia is the oldest fort in the western United States, and the only Texas Revolution site with its original 1836 appearance. When the Spanish arrived in 1749, they found evidence of an Indian village in the area they named Santa Dorotea. As a permanent settlement by Spain began, the name was changed to La Bahia meaning "The Bay." The Spaniards used the fort as protection. This became the original Goliad, the name being changed in 1829 as an anagram for Hidalgo. It was named in honor of the patriot priest of the Mexican Revolution, Father Miguel Hidalgo, who sounded the famous "Grito de Dolores" in 1810 for Mexican Independence from Spain.
Fannin Memorial Monument
Nine flags of different nations have flown over the Presidio. One of its historical events that took place in the Presidio was the signing of the first Declaration of Texas Independence on December 20, 1835.
Non Emergencies Dial:
Emergencies Dial: 911
Presidio La Bahia
Goliad County Sheriff's Office, 701 E. End St., Goliad, TX 77963